Packing your belongings is one of the most difficult and time-consuming elements of the moving process. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task, but these helpful tips can ease your packing blues and help you set things in motion.
Create a Packing Strategy
Having a good plan always lowers the stress level. Decide what rooms you will pack first, and then make a schedule to follow.
- If you can, start packing early. Begin with the least-used items, and try to complete a few boxes per day.
- Pack on a room-by-room basis. Keeping items from each room separate will simplify unloading the boxes.
- Keep an inventory as you pack. Number the boxes per room and make a list of the major contents of each box.
Put your important documents in a water tight box. Here are some documents to include:
- School records
- Home purchase/sale papers
- Marriage/divorce papers
- Pet documents
- Financial records
- Stock certificates
- Social security cards
- Birth certificates
Knowing how to pack specific items can save you time—and help ensure each item arrives at the new house safe and sound.
- Hang ironed or dry-cleaned clothes in wardrobe cartons to avoid the hassle of pressing them after the move.
- Empty the drawers in a piece of furniture before moving the piece itself.
- When you are packing fragile articles, place heavy objects toward the bottom of the carton and more delicate articles near the top.
- Cups and glasses may be stacked and wrapped three or four to a bundle. Place small pieces of paper between each item for added protection.
- Pack your kitchen breakables near the top of boxes that hold your other dishes.
- Pack tall table lamps in sturdy dish pack cartons. Wrap the base of the lamp well and fill in the box with wadded-up packing paper. Pack the lampshade by itself, if possible.
- Small pictures can be wrapped and stood up in normal packing boxes with other goods.
- Extremely large pictures should be packed in specially designed picture or mirror cartons.
- Toys and loose shoes do not have to be wrapped in packing paper. Place them in large cartons and seal them up.
- Books and records should be stood on end and packed in small cartons.
Hire Cincinnati’s highest rated movers at https://www.4wehelp.com