Before moving day try to get all of your goodbyes said. For a moving company it can be very frustrating when a neighbor “pops over to say goodbye” and stands in the door as we are trying to carry furniture in or out. Also if we have to find you everytime we need to know where a piece or furniture or some boxes go, it really slows things down.
A good moving day is a VERY organized moving day.
Last but not least, do not be afraid to friends and family asking for help moving. You probably don’t want to have to look after children and direct your movers at the same time. You certainly don’t want pets underfoot. Recruit family or friends to help you out.
Some other tips for moving day are…
- If you are using an elevator, make sure you contact your building management about reserving one. Sharing an elevator will really slow down your move.
- Make sure you have plenty of water or soda, especially if its a hot day.
- Remember your dishes are packed so have a meal plan
- If you are moving out of an apartment, many management companies will charge you if your apartment isn’t clean so leave cleaning supplies out or hire an apartment cleaning service.
- Make sure you keep a copy of your inventory with you.
- Walk through your house before the movers leave and make sure that you didn’t forget anything. Check closets, cabinets and shelves.
- Make sure there is plenty of room for parking a moving truck. If you have to park on the street call your local police department, many have special arrangements for moving trucks.
- If you are towing a car behind a rental truck, leave it at the pick up location so the trailer isn’t in the way while you are loading your truck and then they can make sure the car is properly secured on the towing trailer.
- Leave your car at the drop off location, again so it isn’t in the way unloading your truck and then you have a ride home after you drop your truck off.
- Have your payment ready ahead of time. Some moving companies charge their hourly rate until they are paid and you don’t want to have them waiting while you look for your purse or checkbook.
With planning and organization you can save time, money and effort with your move.