A study once said that moving is the most stressful planned event a family can have. Often as we adults we don’t think of how kids handle a move, especially if it is a long distance move. We found a few books that will help anyone moving with children.
- We’re Moving (First-Time Stories) – When kids move, they aren’t just leaving behind their house. They are also moving away from the special things they did with their family there – like plant a garden, play tag in the yard or have an Easter egg hunt. This story for young elementary school kids addresses that, and how you can make new memories like those in your new home too.
- Where is Bear-Bear on Moving Day? – This is a story about a little girl who learns about loss and change when her best friend (Bear- Bear) is missing on moving day. This story helps children deal with any sense of loss from losing from moving out of a home. It also teaches them hope and the value of family support.
- Moving Day (Allie Finkle’s Rules for Girls) – This book comes from the series “Allie Finkle’s Rules for Girls”. Known for her work in The Princess Diaries series, Cabot takes readers through Allie Finkle’s reaction and reality when her family moves across town.
- The Moving Book: A Kids’ Survival Guide – by Gabriel Davis – This book is oriented towards tweens. It is a combination moving scrapbook and moving guide. It includes advice on packing, discovering the new house and neighborhood and also getting valuable information from the old friends so that they aren’t forgotten.
- The Berenstain Bears’ Moving Day – The Berenstain Bears are moving to a new tree house and Brother Bear isn’t sure he’s going to like it. This is perfect for talking to your preschooler about a move.
I know my son really enjoyed The Berenstain Bears’ Moving Day. If there is a book your children have enjoyed leave a comment and let us know.